Winter in East Tyrol
Winter in East Tyrol: more than just skiing
Skiing, and nothing but skiing, to be the first on the lift in the morning and to reach as many kilometres on the slope during your stay – this kind of skiing holidays is becoming a thing of the past for more and more tourists. What our guests are looking for is fun, rest and adventure – also off the slopes – be it a ski trip, a snowshoe hike or an afternoon of shopping in the city. In East Tyrol “Ski plus X” is the answer to the changing needs of our winter vacationers. They want to decide spontaneously and they not only expect the perfect skiing day, but also unforgettable adventures in nature or romantic getaways from everyday life. In winter 2016/17 East Tyrol not only gave this new kind of vacation a name, but also provided the conditions for it: skiing regions with plenty of snow guaranteed, which are not overcrowded, a shopping city with its historic old town and a winter wonderland in the middle of 266 three-thousand metre high mountains which enchants in many different ways.
Within a 20km radius there exist four skiing areas which leave nothing to be desired.
Skiing tours in harmony with nature
165 appealing skiing tours covering all difficulty levels
Always follow your heart: Sounding very stereotypical, but becoming true in East Tyrol. From a bird’s eye view you can observe that the 50 mighty peaks of the mountains in Villgraten have the shape of a heart and embrace the two mountaineering villages “Außervillgraten” and “Innervillgraten”. Alongside this heart leads the long-distance trail “Herz-Ass Villgratental”, consisting of 5 parts and overcoming a 5.510 metre difference in altitude. In 1988, the first ascent during winter took place and in 2013 the “Herz-Ass Villgratental” became a long-distance trail, becoming a wonderful experience of nature and culture for hiking enthusiasts. Since winter 2017/18 new opportunities have been realised for touring skiers.
Cross-country skiing over a distance of 400 km in the border areas between Austria and Italy
Reasons why skiing in East Tyrol is especially suitable for families
Every guest is going to find the ideal slope to leave traces in the snow. This region is also very suitable for families:
- The skiing areas Sillian, Hochstein and Zettersfeld are certified family skiing regions.
- In the snow sports schools in East Tyrol children aged 3 years and above have the possibility to learn how to move on snow within the programme “Spielplatz Schnee”.
- On the spot there are plenty of verified and family-friendly accommodations.
- The skiing areas in East Tyrol are of small size and therefore offer particular advantages for families: less crowding, short waiting times and plenty of space on the slopes.
- Also off-piste the snow sports schools offer exciting activities: snowball fights, snow tubing, sledging and much more.
- The children’s prices according to the ski pass are valid in all skiing regions up to 17 years of age.
- Certified ski rentals offer skiing equipment including modern safety equipment
Ice Park East Tyrol: the biggest artificial ice climbing park in Austria
The biggest artificial ice climbing park of Austria will let your heart beat faster. East Tyrol and especially the “Hohe Tauern” with their high-lying and shady valleys are considered a climbing paradise. The artificial ice park in East Tyrol, inaugurated in 2016, has been setting new standards: artificial icefalls, generated by pipelines that produce a light drizzle, create an ice wall with more than 60 climbing routes in very little space. Especially due to the fact that ice is guaranteed the Ice Park East Tyrol stands out positively in comparison to similar projects. Also during warmer winters you can climb in Austria’s biggest artificial ice park. Not only professionals, but also beginners, can take their first climbing steps at minimum risk. The necessary equipment including an ice axe, a climbing helmet, a climbing harness and a crampon will be provided for free by the mountain guides of Kals.
Further winter activities
- Winter hiking
- Ice-skating/ice stock sport
- Christmas markets
- and much more